ADUs have many benefits
1. You can use the ADU as a mother-in-law or aging parents residence. Nursing homes are very expensive. Costing $6000 a month for assisted-living (and up to $30,000 for extended and intensive care). Building an ADU for an aging parent can help you keep your loved one closer. You can be involved in their daily life and care and save a lot of money in the long run.
2. An ADU can be a good place to transition adult children. After college many adult children find themselves overwhelmed with debt. You can charge them a minimal amount of rent and they can live in the ADU for a couple years until they get their feet on the ground. This helps them save money and keep the family closer. As time goes on and you and your spouse get older you may want to move into the ADU and have your adult children and their family move into your existing home.
3. Do you have a lot of guests visiting you? An ADU you can provide a great space for guests to stay. This set up with your visitors in a separate building lets you control the amount of time and interaction you have. This also affords both you and your guest more privacy.
4. An ADU can potentially be an additional source of income. You can look into the possibility of using your ADU as an Airbnb or VRBO. Check with Saint Paul zoning for current regulations and interpretation of the law as this is constantly changing.
5. If you or your spouse work from home an ADU can be a great place for an office. There are myriad other ways to use an ADU as well. You can use it as a yoga studio, painting studio, writing space, meditation room, consulting or therapy space for massage or psychological work. The separate entrance makes the space very private. Because an ADU is a separate building this creates a different energy and vibe and helps separate your home life from your work life.
If you have questions about the cost, timeline or functionality of a Saint Paul ADU, I offer a free 1 hour consultation in my Mac Groveland area home office. Call me, architect Guy Williams, at 651-210-7042 or email me. I also have reasonable on-site meeting rates.